Day 26: Buffalo Fun-a-day

Today I cut to length, then glued the sides of the dulcimer, along with the linings, which strengthen the connection between the sides, the top, and the back.

Getting ready, I needed to check that everything fits where it is supposed to go, how the clamps fit and inter-operate …

Next up, glue the sides to the peg block, tailpiece, and back. Glue the peg block and tailpiece to the back, too. What could possibly go wrong?

I made due with what heavy objects I could find on hand to provide downward pressure.

Then the bottom lining, held in place by a dull band-saw blade and a number of flexible strips of 1/8″ scrap, thusly:

Lastly for today, the top linings, which I will plane/scrape/sand flush to the sides tomorrow. So many clothes-pins!

Day 24 & 25: Buffalo Fun-a-day

Day 24: attended “the myth of perfection“, then doodled some soundhole ideas, only to find out from a friend the some of them resemble a traditional type of fish hook!

Day 25: Spent a solid 6h in the shop, working on the other faces of the scroll.

First rank:

Second rank:

Freehand and refining the high points:

Next, freehand and refining the texture of the scroll top and back:

Last, I started fitting the ribs and linings to the pegbox on the bending jig and seeing what sort of clamping might make sense.