Day 4.0: Buffalo Fun-a-Day 2017

Day four, in which we encounter an opportunity for redesigning the pegbox, and vocalize an anachronistic exclamation of sorrow, regret, or dismay. 

Today started off with marking up those rectangular solids for the band saw, so I could turn them into functional “dulci-bits.”

Next, squaring up the blade on the band saw …

then checking fence position (that’ll do) …

and then getting started on the Y axis cuts

next up, the Z axis

The peg block is to be cut into thirds, so that the middle section can have a lower profile to accommodate the tuning pegs. Based on the manufacturer’s specs, I designed for a 3/4″ wide central section.

“Alackaday!” I cried aloud.

Lining up my tuning machines reveals that one manufacturer (two tuning machines to the right) is within specified measurements, but the other (two tuning machines to the left) is off by between 1/16″ and 3/32″.

Well, I’m glad I checked that before I started cutting the block! I’ll get to redesigning to handle the larger-than-expected tuning machines.

I may post again later today, but if not … it’s been #buffalofunaday!

Today’s soundtrack: Djangologie

Day 3: Buffalo Fun-a-Day 2017

Tonight I cleaned up my design diagrams a bit, in preparation for some more hours Saturday (tomorrow) in the shop.

Here’s the overview of the tenor mountain dulcimer design, which I named Añoranza.

Next up, the fret spacing template. I’m betting these JPG images won’t print at scale, so I’ll add links for PDFs at the bottom of the article.

Here’s the alto mountain dulcimer design, which I named Alegria.

Fret spacing and template for the alto design …

…and the PDFs